About choosing a degree
If I study engineering, do I have to be an engineer?

Not at all! A degree in engineering from UCL shows you are a good problem solver, keenly numerate and skilled in analysis – but also well-rounded, with an understanding of the impact of engineering on society, and with experience working in teams. Engineering and technology industries are obvious destinations, but around half of our graduates go elsewhere – pursuing careers in architecture, web design, teaching, the Civil Service, financial analysis, and much more.

I’m studying a subject, like management or medical physics, that isn’t related to engineering. What’s this got to do with me?

Engineering is about combining scientific principles, such as analysis, measurement and experimentation, with your own ideas and a dose of practicality to find a solution. Looked at in this way, the problem of adding realistic pigments to computer-generated skin, creating a decision-making process to unify European airspace, or manufacturing an absorbent incontinence pad that will keep the wearer’s skin dry are all engineering problems.

You don’t have to think of yourself as an engineer, but the techniques of engineering thinking will come in handy whatever you set out to do. Take the opportunity to learn from other disciplines while you’re here, and you might surprise yourself.

I’m interested in all of Engineering: why do I have to choose a specialism?

Having a home department gives you a group of others to learn with, tutors and lecturers to get to know, and a Christmas party to attend. However, through modules shared between disciplines and taking modules wholly based in other departments, you can get experience of many different subjects, and find a niche that suits you.

Do I have to study different subjects? I’ve found the discipline that’s right for me already.

You can choose to tailor what you study to fit your discipline, and pick specialist modules related, and going deeper in, to it. However, you will undertake some shared project work which will bring you into contact with other disciplines: giving you experience in communicating with others from different backgrounds, and learning to appreciate the strengths of other subjects.

Should I choose the BEng or MEng programme?

Most programmes we offer can be taken in either 3 year or 4 year varieties. They typically share much of the same material in the first 2 years, allowing students on an integrated masters’ programme (MEng/MSci) to move to a Bachelor’s programme (BEng/BSc) if desired. The extra year of the integrated Master’s allows students to specialise, perhaps through taking one of the routes offered (see below) or spending a year abroad. It also fulfils all of the educational requirements for Chartered Engineer (CEng) status, through a single qualification. Attaining chartered status with a Bachelor’s qualification requires further study or significant experience. If you’re unsure, we suggest applying to the MEng programme initially. This offers more flexibility and the ability to switch to a Bachelor’s at the end of the second year if you decide on a 3 year programme.

Can I study abroad or take a year in industry?

The International Programme enables students to spend a year in a selected university in Europe (France, Germany, Spain, Italy), the USA, Hong Kong, Japan or Australia. If you follow any of these routes, the degree you receive will include the route in the title (e.g., Management Science with Study Abroad).

Most programmes also allow students to take an extramural year in industry. This adds an extra year to the length of the programme.

Some programmes offer routes, what are these?

We know that there is a huge amount of choice in degree programmes. In many cases that means choosing to apply to not only a core discipline (Civil, Mechanical etc.) but also a sub-specialism. We’ve designed our programmes so that at the application stage you only need to decide on the core discipline now. Once you’re here and have chance to appreciate the options better you’ll be able to choose a specialist route if you want to as part of an Integrated Master’s programme. These could include some experience of a related discipline (i.e. Chemical Engineering with Biochemical Engineering), a specialist focus on an area within the subject (i.e. Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology) or a year studying abroad.

Does UCL have open days?

Information about UCL Open Days can be found here.

Can I visit a department before I make my application?

Individual departments are usually very happy to arrange individual visits. The contact details for each department can be found on the right hand side of each departmental listing which can be accessed here.

Additionally, once you have applied, if you are a UK-based applicant, the departments may invite you to a departmental open day. The open-day programme varies from department to department, but may include some or all of the following: a student-guided tour of the department; a student-guided tour of UCL; a chance to informally meet academics and current students in the department; presentations of topics of current interest in the department; a one-to-one meeting with an academic in the department.

The Application Process
How do I apply to study at UCL Engineering Sciences?

All applications for undergraduate study should be formally submitted via UCAS (Universities and Colleges Applications Service). For further information on the process, click here.

Where can I find out about UCL accommodation and how can I apply for it?

Full details about UCL accommodation, including how to apply for it were sent to you with your offer letter in the booklet The UCL Offer 2014 Entry, which you can also view online by logging in to UCL Portal. This information is also available here in either case please note the 31st May deadline.

All queries regarding the accommodation information in the booklet or allocation of UCL accommodation should be directed to:
UCL Student Residences Office, University College London, 117 Gower Street, London WC1E 6AP
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7383 0407; email: residences@ucl.ac.uk

I missed the deadline for applying for UCL accommodation, what can I do about it, will I still be able to get student accommodation?

In addition to the UCL Student Residences Office, The University of London has eight Intercollegiate Halls of Residence available to full time students of the University. To be eligible for a place at an Intercollegiate Hall a student must be a registered, full-time student at one of the University’s Colleges or Institutes. For more information, click here.

For information and advice concerning applications for accommodation at the Intercollegiate Halls, please contact the Intercollegiate Halls Accommodation Bureau: Intercollegiate Halls Accommodation Bureau, International Hall, Lansdowne Terrace, LondonWC1N 1AS. Tel. +44(0)20 7822 3333. email: info.halls@london.ac.uk

The usual opening hours of the Accommodation Bureau are 9am to 6pm, however these times may occasionally vary due to staffing levels and students are advised to phone ahead if intending to come to the office in person. Appointments can be made outside of these hours if necessary.

For information and advice concerning applications for accommodation in the private sector, please contact the University of London Housing Service: The University of London Housing Service offers advice to those seeking accommodation in the private sector.

University of London Housing Services, University of London Union, 4th Floor, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HY. Telephone: +44 (0)20 7862 8880; email: housing@lon.ac.uk

The Housing Service office is open 10am to 5pm on Mondays and Wednesday-Friday; Tuesdays 11am to 5pm.

How do I pay my fees and should I do so before I apply for my visa?

Contact details for UCL Student Fees Office can be found here. Specific advice on methods of paying fees and the appropriate downloadable forms can be found here.

You do not have to pay your tuition fees before you apply for your visa. However, should you choose to do so, the most viable option for overseas students is to pay by bank transfer. This method incurs bank charges for both your own and UCL’s bank and these should be added to the amount of tuition fees due.

Are there scholarships available for studying Engineering Sciences at UCL?

Information regarding the scholarships offered by UCL can be found here.

Student Funding, UCL Registry and Academic Services, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT. Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 0004; email: studentfunding@ucl.ac.uk. For US/Canadian loans email: us-cdn-loans@ucl.ac.uk

The UCL Student Funding office is located on UCL’s Bloomsbury campus, on the ground floor of the South Wing, Room G19. Office hours: Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm for telephone and email enquiries; Monday to Friday 10am – 4pm for personal callers

Study Abroad
I wish to study at UCL as an affiliate student as part of my undergraduate programme at my home university – where can I find information?

At UCL, the term Affiliate Student refers to all visiting students who wish to spend either a semester or one year studying at UCL. This includes Junior Year Abroad (JYA), Erasmus and Exchange students. Please visit the UCL Study Abroad site and download the guide booklet.

Year 2 Entry
I’ve successfully completed 1 year’s undergraduate study at another university. Will I be able to transfer to Engineering Sciences at UCL to complete my bachelor’s degree?

A small number of applicants have successfully applied for direct entry into our second year. Your application for such a transfer will be considered with the following provisos:

  1. You must meet our usual A-level/IB or international equivalent requirements for first year entry. Applicants who have been rejected previously must have re-sat their IB or A-level exams to meet Engineering Sciences’ normal requirements (and not just the UCL benchmark). Good performance in the first year of another university does *not* compensate for underperformance at A-Level/IB or the international equivalent.
  2. You must have at least a 2(i) performance in your current studies or a first if applying to Management, Science and Innovation
  3. You must provide a supportive academic reference
  4. In order to be sure that you are adequately prepared to continue your studies at UCL, the admitting Department will ascertain that the course you are currently studying is sufficiently similar to the course offered here at UCL.
  5. The Department concerned will submit your request for second year entry to the Academic Dean of Students for his approval.
  6. All applications are considered individually on their merits and all are subject to the proviso that there is sufficient capacity within the Department applied for.

Not all UCL Engineering Sciences Department accept applicants for entry into Year 2. The departments listed below DO consider applications for 2nd Year Entry:

  • Computer Science
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Management, Science and Innovation
  • Medical Physics

If you wish to be considered for direct entry to the second year, you should complete the UCAS application form specifying ‘point of entry 2’ rather than 1. For more information on the application process please visit our website.

NB: UCL will not consider transfers into the third year under any circumstances.


Similarity Detection
My personal statement has been found to be significantly similar to others in the UCAS database. Does this mean that my application to UCL will be rejected?

The Faculty Tutor will write to you asking for an explanation of how these similarities may have arisen. If your answer proves to be satisfactory, we will continue to consider your application in the usual way. If, however, you can’t provide a satisfactory explanation, your application will be given no further consideration and we will inform both you and UCAS accordingly.

Late response to an application
Why is it taking so long for UCL to make a decision about my application?

Our Departmental Admissions Tutors give equal consideration to all applicants and this sometimes means that decisions are delayed in order to include those who apply later in the cycle. If the decision on your application seems to be taking a long time, it means that it is still under consideration. Please keep your eye on UCAS Track because that is where our decision will be updated. In accordance with UCAS guidelines, all applications will have a decision at the latest by the end of March.

Missing the conditions of your offer
I narrowly missed the conditions of my offer, is there a chance that I can still be accepted to study at UCL?

When the exam results are published the Faculty Tutor and the Academic Dean of Students will carefully consider the applications of all students who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer.

Overseas IB ‘near misses’ will be considered as soon as possible. Home/EU IB ‘near misses’ may be held back until the A-level results are published in mid-August, allowing the Academic Dean of Students to give equal consideration to all cases.

Our ability to offer any discretion will depend on the number of students in a ‘near miss’ situation and the number of spaces we have available. Numbers are usually very tight and so it is probably safest to assume that if you do not satisfy your offer exactly we will not be able to admit you.

If, before mid-August, you wish to be released to your insurance institution please email or telephone the Faculty Admissions Officer : fes-enquiry@ucl.ac.uk 44 (0) 20 7679 7737. Please ensure that you include your full name, UCAS personal ID and course applied for in all correspondence.

Verification of qualifications
I’ve confirmed UCL as my first choice, what happens next, and how shall I let you know when I get my exam results?

Firm offer holders will be emailed in June and asked to log in to the UCL Portal, where information on their status and tuition fees will be provided. The majority of applicants’ results will be provided directly to UCL through UCAS from the examination boards (e.g. A-levels). However, for some qualifications the applicant will be asked to upload copies of their certificate(s) via the Portal. Holders of unconditional offers will be asked to upload evidence of their completed qualifications.

Deferred Entry
I’ve just applied to UCL through UCAS for deferred entry, but I’ve decided I’d like to begin my studies straight away.

Please contact us via email quoting your full name and UCAS personal ID number,  we will then contact the relevant department to seek permission.  If permission is given, your record will be amended to show the upcoming academic year if an offer is recommended.

Tier 4 Visa
I am an overseas applicant with a confirmed unconditional place at UCL – when can I apply for my visa?

You will not be able to apply for your visa until three months before your official start date. Advice on applying for a visa can be found at here.

Early in the admissions cycle, if you need to amend your passport details you must do so by emailing UCAS. a scanned copy of the relevant page of your new passport (quote your Personal ID in all correspondence with UCAS). If you encounter any difficulties please contact UCAS Customer Services.

Later in the admissions cycle (late June/early July) we will send you an email asking you to login to the UCL Portal, where you should go to the Tier 4 visa page and confirm your personal details. Specifically, these are: your name as it appears on your passport, your passport number and expiry date. If you do not confirm your details, we will not be able to issue a CAS.

We will email you when your CAS statement has been prepared and you will be able to view it via the UCL Portal. You only need the CAS number to apply for the visa, you do not require a hard copy of the CAS statement either for you application or for your interview when you present your supporting documents.

The name that I used to register with UCAS is not the same as the name on my passport – what should I do?

The ‘structure’ of names we must provide to UKBA is: Family name; Given name; Other name(s). In this context the ‘other name(s)’ field refers to additional given names that do appear on your passport rather than any name that you use unofficially.

The name that I used to register with UCAS is not the same as the name on my passport – what should I do?

You can access information regarding the payment of fees on our website.

Please note that we cannot amend the CAS statement to indicate that you have paid some or all of your fees. An automated official UCL receipt will be sent by email once you (or family member etc) has made a payment towards your fees. The email will be sent, in the case of an online payment, to the email address entered during the payment process. You need to submit a hard copy of this as a receipt to UKBA.

What sort of evidence for my academic qualifications do I need to present to UKBA?

Specific guidance on this issue is given on the UKBA website. You will be asked to present, for instance, certificate of an award or a transcript of your results. For A-levels, you present an electronic print out from the UCAS online checking service.

I’ve been unable to get a visa appointment and may not be able to arrive by the start of Term – will I still be able to enrol and commence my studies if I arrive late?

The latest acceptance for studies and enrolment date is 11th October 2014. Your entry to the UK will be refused if you arrive after the latest acceptance date. Even though exceptional cases will be granted this leeway, it is expected that students start their studies at the beginning of Term on 23rd September 2013.

When I applied I didn’t think I’d need a visa and didn’t put my passport details on UCAS – can I add them now or shall I send them to you?

You must update your details via UCAS. Please contact UCAS Customer Services directly.

English Language Qualifications
What standard of English proficiency do I need to study Engineering Sciences at UCL?

Our English language requirements can be accessed here.

The standard English language qualification UCL requires may take one of the following forms:

  1. Substantial education (minimum twelve months) or work experience (minimum eighteen months) conducted in English in a majority English speaking country and undertaken no more than two years prior to your proposed date of enrolment, or -
  2. An acceptable English language qualification or test result, which must have been awarded no more than two years prior to your proposed date of enrolment.

We reserve the right, in individual circumstances, to specify an additional language requirement for an applicant if it is felt to be necessary, or to require a higher level than that indicated in the table.

UCL’s preferred English language qualifications are GCSE in English language and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic version). Please refer to the complete list of the English language qualifications and tests that are recognised by UCL and the level (standard, good or advanced) required to satisfy UCL’s English language requirement across our range of degree programmes. It should be noted that the levels required are the minimum that are acceptable and UCL reserves the right, in individual circumstances, to require a higher level. The complete list of qualification acceptable to UCL can be found here.

The result obtained in any English language qualification should be provided, if possible, on the UCAS application form. If no evidence of English language proficiency has been provided, admission will be conditional on the provision of such evidence. This condition will be clearly indicated on the offer letter and must be fulfilled before enrolment at UCL.

Specifically for courses offered by the Faculty of Engineering Sciences, with the exception of Information for Business Management (IMB), we require the standard level of achievement in IELTS, which is an overall grade of 6.5 with 6.0 in each subtest. For our IMB courses we require the good level of achievement.

The UCL Language Centre offers programmes that are recognised for the purpose of satisfying UCL’s English language proficiency requirement. There is a one-year Diploma in English for Academic Purposes with Academic Research Skills and a range of pre-sessional programmes.

Further information may be obtained from: UCL Language Centre, 26 Bedford Way, London, WC1H 0AP, UK. Tel: +44 (0) 20 7679 5454; email: languagecentre@ucl.ac.uk;


Foreign Language Requirements
I am a UK applicant, why do I need a qualification in a Modern Foreign language?

UCL encourages intercultural awareness in all its students, and considers experience of learning a foreign language a vital element of a broad and balanced education. UCL wishes to ensure that all of our graduates have had some experience of exploring another culture through language – but we are concerned to ensure that our admissions requirements do not disadvantage those applicants who did not undertake language study to GCSE or above at school. If you do not have such a qualification, it will not prohibit the consideration of your application. For these applicants UCL will provide opportunities to meet the modern language requirement once they are enrolled at UCL. This will be either through taking a 0.5 course-unit in a language as part of their degree programme or through studying for a specifically designed certificate.

Qualifications accepted as GCSE equivalents include the following:

  • IGCSE at grade C or higher
  • GCE O-level at grade C or higher
  • Scottish Credit Standard grade/Intermediate 2
  • Hong Kong Certificate of Education (HKCEE) grade C or higher
  • IB Middle Years programme (MYP) at grades 4 to 7
  • Malaysia Sijil Pelejaran (SPM) at grade 1 to 6
  • Singapore/Cambridge GCE O-level at grades 1 to 6
Orientation/Start of Term
When does Term start?

The start and finish dates of UCL Terms (including Reading Weeks, Public Holidays and days when UCL is closed) can be found here – please add the relevant academic year after ‘dates/’ (eg 2013-14)

International Students: to help you when you first arrive at UCL, the Student Centre organises an orientation programme for new students prior to the start of the academic year in September and also in January for those joining UCL for the Spring/Summer Terms, for more information click here.

A timetable of orientation events will be posted here a few weeks prior to the start of studies. As well as academic, welfare and health sessions, there are also social events. The orientation programme also provides you with an opportunity to enrol formally as a UCL student and start the process of signing up for courses.

Airport Pickup Service
Will UCL arrange to pick me up at the airport? If not, how will I get to UCL or my student accommodation?

UCL does not offer an airport pickup service. There are however good transport links from all London airports into central London. More information can be found here.

Heathrow Airport website
Gatwick Airport website
Stansted Airport website
Luton Airport website
London City Airport website