Showcase event for the UCL-sponsored technical college, Elutec
Elutec, a new UCL-sponsored University Technical College aimed at students with an interest in engineering careers, is holding its first ever Open Day on 20 July. Young people and their families will have the opportunity to find out more about engineering and design through hands-on demonstrations and talks from the staff and supporters of this new technical college for 14-19 year olds.
The Dagenham site will be open from 10am to 1pm on Saturday 20th, and families are welcome to drop in at any stage during this timeframe. Visitors will see just how many things you can do with technology through a variety of science, engineering and design-based activities, including:
- Fruit Drums – try out your drumming skills on an instrument made from fruit. Percussion at its juiciest.
- 3D Printer – design an object and watch it being created on a 3D printer as you wait.
- Robot Team – watch a team of robots that are able to sense objects and manoeuvre around obstacles.
- Ford High Performance Cars – Ford will be exhibiting 2 of their very latest high-performance cars including the new Fiesta ST recently given the thumbs up by Top Gear.
- CAD Design – Elutec architects will demonstrate the CAD system used to design the new build of the college.
- Hydrogen Cars – a chance to build a hydrogen powered car and test it to see how far it will travel.
- Rampaging Chariots – the successor to Robot Wars brings the idea of two team-made robots fighting to the death or disarmament to Elutec
Visitors will also have the chance to speak to the sponsors of the College, local employers, admissions staff and Elutec Young Ambassadors – engineering apprentices, undergraduates and post graduates – to understand what a technical career is about. The Principal, Ruth Umerah, will host three 30 minute sessions explaining the ethos and vision of the College at 10.30, 11.15 and midday.
Event attendees will have a clear understanding of what Elutec brings to London education, and whether it suits their child – as well as details of admissions and entry, and how to find out more.
The event will take place on the CEME Campus where there is ample parking – travel details are available here – and where you will be directed on arrival. To help us plan, please register here with your interest to attend.
- Find out more about Elutec at their website
- UCL’s Teaching and Learning Portal interviews Elutec Principal, Ruth Umerah, about the unique potential of the school